Mailing Lists and IRC¶
There are several ways to connect with the SmartOS and Illumos communities.
The best place to talk about SmartOS is the smartos-discuss mailing list. If you wish to send mail to the list you'll need to join, but you can view and search the archives online without being a member. The discussion list is the best way to find a broad range of people who may be working on the same problems or have answered the same questions you have.
There are also other related mailing lists for software included in, or related to, SmartOS; e.g.,
- illumos Mailing Lists
- Joyent Triton (Compute Service built on SmartOS)
- Joyent Manta (Object Storage built on SmartOS)
IRC is a great place to interact in real time with other SmartOS users, and (perhaps) get quick answers to questions when you're in the middle of something and need advice.
We can be found in the following channels on freenode.net:
#smartos: The Official SmartOS/Triton Channel (Channel Logs)
#manta: The Official Manta Channel (Channel Logs)
#illumos: For discussion of the Illumos project and its distributions (Channel Logs)
#joyent: People often find us here, but
Most of the community can also be found on Twitter. Some other Twitter sources of SmartOS news include:
- @joyent corporate steward of SmartOS and Triton
- @joyentsmartos SmartOS-specific twitter account for news and commentary
- @SmartDataCenter Triton-specific twitter account for news and commentary
- @MantaStorage Manta-specific twitter account for news and commentary
When tweeting about SmartOS, consider using the #smartos Hashtag.